'91 164S electrical problems

Hi there:

I am new to the list so these may have surfaced before.

Two years ago we bought the car and we were very happy with it. At =
firs it took two or three tries to start and we didn't pay attention =
to the symptoms but they have grown out of proportion since.

Here is a short list of my grievances:

- - I understand the car checks itself before startup. Mine does it =
usually in an amazingly short period of time (less than 2 secs) and =
the test button doesn't work. After replacing the battery and for a =
short while it checked itself in what seemed a "proper" time (about =
7-10 secs) the test button worked fine then. Now it is back to old =
habits.

- - The car has an electrical power drainage which discharges the =
battery in a matter of three  days. I have noticed that there are =
three relays in the trunk, of which the backmost one gets hot even =
with the ignition switch in the off position. The manual I have =
describes two relays in the trunk, one being for the rear windshield =
defrost, and the other for the electronically controlled suspension. =
I have no clue about the function of the third frontmost one. The =
drainage continues even after disconecting these units.

- - The alternator gives a steady 13.8 volt reading it won't go pass =
this figure. Could anyone tell me if this is the "normal" voltage =
output of the unit, if it is not, which could be the culprit the =
alternator or the voltage regulator?

- - After a rainstorm the car has developed an habit of opening =
halfway (or almost) the driver's window  when the door is locked from =
the outside (from the driver's side only).

We bought the car used in very good condition. The only visible =
problem was some battery "powder" (oxid maybe?) around the battery =
(and the aforementioned relays), now I suspect of a serious =
electrical "accident" that rendered the whole system unstable at =
best.

These problems have been getting more serious and even though I love =
the car they may cause my parting with it.

Any help with any of the above problems will be greatly apreciated.

TIA

- ---------------
Antonio Ponce
'91 164S Nero