Spider Fuel Level Sender Problems

I've got a couple problems with the fuel level sender unit in my 69
Spider Jr. When I got it the guage would drop to 0 when the tank was
full but after it dropped a gallon or 2 it would read correctly. After
testing the guage by grounding it (OK) I attempted to pull the  sender
unit and couldn't get it out of the tank. I figured I could live with a
guage that wasn't accurate when full and tried to put it back but the
old gasket wasn't in good shape and it wouldn't seal. A parts guy
reccomended some black gasket goop which worked for a while but was
messy and now its leaking again. In addition now the sender appears to
be getting worse.

So how do I get the sender out of the tank? It shouldn't be that hard
but no matter how I turn it, it won't come out. There's a poly hose
inside the tank that's attached to the sender and I can just about
remove it but I'm afraid that I'll drop it and the clamp into the tank
and make this a bigger job and I don't even know if that's whats holding
it in.

I bought some cork gasket material to cut a new gasket. Will this do the
job or is there something better to use?

And lastly how come its so difficult to get the sender seated right? I'd
twist and turn and lift and push and it still only seemed accidental
when I'd get it back in correctly. I assume this will be a little easier
to figure out if I ever get the damned thing out. And I thought the
heater valve was a tough job!?!

Thanks,
Mitch Wolberg
Denver, CO
69 Spider/Duetto Jr. - Call it whatever you want as long as I'm driving
it!