Re: Synchros

One of the traditional problems with Alfa's 2nd gear synchro is the large
gap in the ratios between 2nd and 3rd. This put extra wear on the 2nd gear
synchro. It has also been pointed out that the 101 series 4 speed trannies
didn't wear out as fast. Adding the 5th gear increased the rotating mass
to the point that the synchro became the weak link. Bottom line, the large
ratio gap between 2nd and 3rd, coupled with having only half a synchro on
1st plus a load of poor maintenance and inadequate shifting technique gave
these gearboxes a bad name. A lightened gearbox, the correct oil, and better
technique will make them last a LOT longer. The Porsche design isn't
inherently bad, Alfa just didn't overdesign it like they did most other
performance related bits. BTW, I have no idea what the 164 ones are like,
but they did carry some of the design flaws forward into the transaxle era.

FYI, the article/tirade I posted about how to shift an Alfa currently graces
the Isaluti web site at:

  http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/3837/gearshft.html

Their main page is at: http://www.catenary.com/victor/isaluti/

The follow up discussion added by Tom Sahines is there too, for those who
remember. ;=)