Re: Converting early 105 to 2-liter

Scott Fisher asked:
>I know a few brave souls out there have converted 105-body cars to 2000
>engines.  I'm especially interested in the GT body style, as that's what
>I'll be putting the 2-liter into.  I've been tracking some of the
>difficulties (clutch, mainly) for several months, and I've heard a lot
>of opinions on the subject.
>
>I'd like to hear from people who have done this, or who have had shops
>do this for them, with some specific questions in mind:
>
>1 - What pieces do you need to acquire in advance to make the swap?
>
>2 - What requires re-engineering, as opposed to buying off-the-shelf
>parts?
>
>3 - What shops in the San Francisco Bay Area (of California, USA) are
>competent to handle, or at least participate in, a swap of this nature?
>
>4 - What would you do differently if you were doing the same swap again
>today?
>
>5 - What weak spots (diff? halfshafts? brakes? Scotchgard the seats? :-)
>will I probably want/need to upgrade when I've got the 2-liter in place?
>
>My sincere thanks for any assistance you can give me in this upcoming
>project.

Scott

Firstly, I'm not all that familiar with the 1300 tall motor but I have done
this conversion on a 1964 Giulia sprint GT that had the 1600 cc Giulia
engine - twice - first with an Alfetta-based 2 litre then with a 1750 GTV.
In word - don't mess with the Alfetta engine - its far more trouble than
its worth - oil pan, crank/flywheel, bellhousing etc etc. Use another
105/115 engine or transmission and there are no problems except for
hydraulic versus cable clutches. Its a very simple matter to get rid of the
clutch slave and link the cable to the clutch lever if you do have the
cable clutch. There is another samll hassle if you need to use an older
bellhousing on the 2 litre gearbox - you can't. The designs are different
and you'll find oil pouring out of the 2 litre gbox into the 1750
bellhousing which has an opening for the selector rods.

These considerations aside, the 2 litre will fit straight into your GT.
Your 1300 transmission complete with bellhousing may bolt on to the 2
litre, of that I'm not sure, but if it doesn't, use a 1600/1750 bellhousing
mated to the gbox, and this combination will work, and as well, give you
some interesting ratios for the racetrack, maybe not so good for the street!

If you have the Dunlop brakes you may want to get a whole rear axle setup
with the lsd as well as the 2 litre front hubs and brakes ( whole
suspension units is the way to go) but this is not necessary in the first
instance.

Hope this helps.

Les - in the brakeless Green GTV in Wellington, New Zealand
a million curses on the heads of the designers of the rhd Ate system with
underfloor tandem mc, two boosters and built-in gremlins!!!