5 mph Bumpers That Work!

I used to think the bumpers on my GTV-6 were ugly and un-necessary.  Even
toyed with the idea of replacing them with something in fiberglass.  Well,
I've seen the light.  Just got rear-ended yesterday morning by a full sized
Chevy pickup truck (fortunately not a jacked up 4 X 4!)  I was stopped, and
it must have been going at least 5 mph.  Hit square on.  I thought I would
be looking at at least some damage to irreplaceable body parts.  Nada.
Nothing more than a little scuffed paint where the plastic bumper cover was
pushed up against the lower body.  Whew...

Only question is:  What's the proper length of the bumper shock absorber?
I think mine rebounded to their original position.  I'm guessing they
aren't one-time, disposeable units?

Chris Attias
'84 GTV-6 (currently not impersonating Accord-ian)