Re: alfa-digest V7 #668 - Mopar Ram Induction 413

In a message dated 4/27/99 4:00:00 PM Central Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

<< From: Simon Favre <simon@domain.elided>
 Subject: Re: un-injected V-6s

 In a local machine shop, there's a big American V-8 motor sitting around
 with a similarly loony arrangement. It has two big 4 barrels that sit about
 3 feet apart. The carb for the right head is to the left of the left head,
 the carb for the left head is to the right of the right head. I think it
 was in a Plymouth, or some other Mopar machine.

	Remember the Beach Boys song Shut Down.  "Two cool sharks sitting
side by side, yeah, my fuel injection stingray and a 413.  We're revving up
our engines and it sounds real mean....  He's hot with Ram Induction, but
it's understood, I've got a fuel injected engine sitting under my hood...
Buddy, gonna shut you down..."   Or something like that.
	The 413 cross ram came in two configurations.  The automatic version
had longer rams that sat way outside the valve covers.  I once saw one
stuffed into a 40 Ford with the hood sides cut out to clear the carburetors.
The stick shift version had shorter rams with the carburetors sitting over
the valve covers.  They were used in both Dodge and Plymouth around 1964,
before the hemi came back into production.  I seem to recall that the 413,
426 wedge (not hemi) and 440 were all the same engine design.
	Funny, we were discussing the Chrysler 413 at the local Alfa repair
shop just the other week!
Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City