Stuck 164 Hood/Bonnet - The Sequel

Thanks for the  suggestions. I tried hooking the centre of the cable where
it passes over the radiator but the inner cable just pulled out of the
outer. As it was the righthand catch that hadn't released, I was forced to
remove the wheelarch lining ( absolutely no access from below - oil cooler
etc in the way ) which allowed me to reach over the thermostat/hoses and
trip it.
Next job - replace the cable. On the RHD car the cable runs from the engine
bay behind the wheelarch liner through a grommet in the firewall and into
the passenger compartment. The outer sheath had split where it passes betwen
the liner and inner wing allowing water to enter, corrosion etc. The
replacement is a complete inner/outer assembly.
After taping a length of cord to the end of the old outer and withdrawing it
into the car, I used the cord to help the replacement through. I won't bore
you with the details but it took me about FOUR HOURS!!

reset resulting in only one of the catches working. After feeding some oil
between the inner & outer and closing the lid, I go to try the release and
BANG goes the cable leaving the hood half released with the remaining part
of the inner jammed in the outer!
Any ideas how I can fully release it so I can replace the cable??? Any
suggestions gratefully received!'

Cheers

Graham

Cheshire, UK