re: Brazilian Alfas

Responding to a question about Alfa factories outside Italy, John Hertzman

Bob Abhalter wrote back:
>FNM also produced Alfa cars. For how long I'm not sure, but in the May,
>1980, issue of the Alfa Owner, on page 5 is a picture of an Alfetta 2300

Bob is right.  There are still some 2300s in circultation in Brazil,
generally looking the worse for wear.  Visually, the car reminiscent of a
larger Alfetta, an impression borne out by its dimensions.  The 2300s
wheelbase was 2730 mm, the track was 1397/1400 mm front/rear, and it
weighed  1210 kg, versus 2510 mm, 1366/1358 mm, and 1140 kg for the
Alfetta.  According to "All the Alfa Romeos 1910-1995", the 2300 was
produced in various versions from 1974 to 1986.  It featured a light alloy,
dual overhead cam, four cylinder engine of 2310 cc displacement, and a
conventional front-mounted gearbox with rear differential.

>The photo was used to illustrate an article about gasohol and referred to
>another article in the October, 1977 issue of the Owner, which says the car
>was "made under license using a 2,310cc engine with a 7.5:1 compression
>ratio to cope with the gasohols then in use there."

The book gives a range of 4 compression ratios from 7.5 to 10.6:1.  The
lower one is for the alcohol-burner Bob describes, and the higher is for a
"sporting" version, the 2300 ti4.

These offshore Alfs were produced during Brazil's years of military rule,
when national policy allowed no imported autobiles whatsover.  Bigger
companies like GM, Ford, VW, and Fiat got around the restriction by build
factories in Brazil, but having cars built locally under license was
probably the only option for smaller manufacturers who wanted to stay in
the market.  It's conceivable that the 2300 may have been designed in
Brazil.  The major foreign manufactures who do business there all have
unique Brazilian-designed models, some of which have found their way to
other markets.  The successful Fiat Palio is a current example.

The situation has been changing rapidly since Brazil's return to democracy
and accompanying economic liberalization.  Expensive imported cars, ranging
from Jaguars to the new Fiat Alfas, are all the rage among those who can
afford them.

Dana Loomis