Re: Alfasud/33 smallest engine

On Apr 21,  2:26pm, George Caracatsanis (of Athens, Greece) wrote:

> The smallest engine size available here was 1186cc. There was never a 1.0 or
> 1.1 liter Alfasud. The 1186 engine outlived the Sud and was also used in
> early 33s, some of which were assembled locally.

George, thanks for the confirmation.  Keith Walker also pointed out the
existance of the 1.2 33 model.  Most likely this is what I was thinking of, not
a small engined Sud.  The timeframe of my visit was correct (late 80's, so the
33 was in production by then), and since the existance of a micro engined Sud
has been discredited this is most probably what I saw.  Unfortunately, my foggy
memory of what was a brief glimpse of the rapidly disappearing tail of an Alfa
10 years ago has been yet further confused by this thread, so I will now
probably never know what I really saw!  Such are the downsides of early
middle-age, I fear.

Dave J. (having a bad week at work)
1982 GTV-6

BTW, I drove through Athens on one trip to Greece.  Fortunately the car was
rented, because Athens traffic requires the "choose a direction, close your
eyes and floor it" approach to driving (but no, I didn't bend it).  Also, the
car was an unleaded-only model, and we discovered that at that time unleaded
was virtually nonexistant in the Peleponese (sp?) where we were travelling.
 Beautiful country, though!

- --