Re: Milano Verde rear end rumbling

In a message dated 4/20/99 5:23:02 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

<< Subject: Milano rear wheel bearing question.

 Hi everyone

 I have a troublesome problem with what I think must be a rear wheel bearing
 on an 88 Verde.  Makes a rumbley bad bearing noise in the back of the car
 that starts about 30  >>

Damien,
I've had 3 rear wheel bearing failures on my Verde, and your symptoms would
have pointed me at your right rear bearing.   But there is another
possibility, and it's alot cheaper and easier to fix:  check whether your
exhaust pipe is rubbing the inboard right hand CV joint.  This causes a
rumbling sound that sounds just like a driveline problem--happened to me a
couple of weeks ago, and I thought it was something else at first.  And
turning to the right opens the gap between the exhaust and the CV joint, so
that would tie in with your symptoms.

			Bill Sims