RE: Carb Problems - plastic rod fix

Have been catching up with accumulated digests and noticed in the replies
that someone had troubles with the plastic actuating-rod popping off the
ball. Its was also stated that these did not come with the steel pins that
the metal ones had.

All of the later 105 series cars that came here had rods of plastic and all
have the steel pins. Before the "Dark Age" Alfas , the Alfettas etc, when
the rot really set in, the plastic rods had metal cup-ends which were
screwed in to the rod enabling its length to be adjusted. Later, the
Alfettas got a rod with one metal cup, then a non adjustable-for-length
totally plastic one. Someone may correct me on this, but I think that the
60's Sprint GTs etc were the last ones with the all-metal rods.

As you'd expect, the plastic cups wear in time and especially if the carbs
are not set up properly with the required pre-load on the throttles, the
rod fall off. There's no need to go ape looking for the all-metal
replacement; its a simple job to drill a small-diameter hole through each
of the cups and use  lock-wire to retain the rod on the ball-ends.

Les -in Wellington, New Zealand, recovering after doing a brake-booster job
on the GTV