Tipo 159 wings like chitty chitty bang bang?

Just had my birthday, the good news was the d'A&T bible from my SO, my
164 back from my mechanic (I'm now his best friend if the cheque clears)
and a pewter model of a 159 from SO's parents. This is as per all
pictures I have seen except that it has "wings". These are not like F40
or even Cosworth Fords, but huge flat plates coming out of the sides,
just behind the front wheels, slightly above the wheel centre line. Kind
of looks like bits off a Stegosaurus. Anybody know if these are just
artistic license, or were used for real?

BTW the bad news is that I also got an invite to the Court to tell them
why I shouldn't get a driving ban this coming Wed. afternoon.
- --
jonathan coates