Re: alfa-digest V7 #630 - Restrictors in the oil passages

AlfaNeely@domain.elided wrote:

> Simon,
>         I was not suggesting that everyone partly plug off the oil passages
> to the cam bearings and I am not sure I agree with it.   However, my friend
> HAS done this to 5 of the 6 bearings and his engine is alive and well in a
> racing environment.  Thus, all the concern about roll pins constricting oil
> flow to the cam bearings was, I felt, of no consequence.  That was the point
> I was trying to make: roll pins are not going to limit oil flow enough to
> matter.

OK, on that part we totally agree. I know guys who have taken apart a lot
of Alfa engines, and the cam bearings almost never suffer damage, roll
pins or no roll pins. The cam bearings themselves provide most of the
pressure drop in that path, as it should be.

If you are fitting grooved bearing shells at #2 and #4 mains in a block
drilled for direct oiling, do you also groove the main journal? Do you
also plug the redundant crank passage, or leave it alone?