RE: Milano hard shifting

At 08:02 AM 4/11/99 -0700, Nelson Laconich wrote:
>Chip, I had a similar problem on my '87 Milano Gold.  I changed the
>differential/axle oil with MT 90 Red Line.  Big difference.  I can even
>downshift from 3rd to 2nd without a problem.  Also, make sure to bleed all
>the air out of the system.  The rattle though, sounds like your throughout
>bearing is going bad, which means bringing down the tranny, and if that is
>the case, you might as well replace the clutch.  Just make sure is not a
>part of the exhaust system that is making the noise.  Most of the times, the
>bearing stops making noise when the clutch is applied because the bearing is
>under pressure, therefore it doesn't have any play.  Good luck.

>>Also, If the car is sitting idling in neutral with my foot off the
>>clutch there is a rattling and vibration from the rear/underside but it
>>goes away as soon a the clutch pedal is depressed. Any ideas? Thanks in

Sorry to be the wise-guy here, but the throw-out bearing will broadcast its
imminent departure to the big scrapyard in the sky by making noise when the
clutch pedal is depressed, i.e. when there is a load on the bearing.
Chattering noises when the car is in neutral with the foot off the clutch
usually means wear in the gearbox bearings. Sorry Chip. However, if you
hear rattling noises rather than rumbles or whispers, the problem lies
elsewhere.
I have similar first gear selection problems with my GTV6. Also, the clutch
on my car is dying in a most unusual way, which causes it to stick unless
the engine is revved with the clutch pedal depressed, but it's about to be
replaced with a single-disk clutch. I'll let the collective know whether
this gives an improvement in shifting.

Best, Jaap Bouma (Netherlands)
'87 GTV6 2.5 Grand Prix