RE: AD 622

Too many things in this issue for me to be quiet about...

164 Clocks: There's a saying that there's "nothing new under the sun."
I can't help but think that this would apply here. In one of my first
jobs, I was involved in more basic electronic design and used to
receive catalogs from component manufacturers. One of my company's
products contained a programmable LCD clock gizmo (yes, that's a
technical term) and I seem to recall that there were only 4 or 5
manufacturers of the basic assemblies in the world -- not unlike O2
sensors or picture tubes. Has anyone ever looked into tracking down
the manufacturer of the innards of this very expensive clock/control
device? While I'm not ruling out that FIAT made it themselves, I'd be
surprised if it wasn't a FIAT-packaged, off-the-shelf device or group
of devices. I'd be willing to research this if someone can send me a
broken one.

Auto Show/Ferrari: Isn't Ferrari a FIAT company, as well? If memory
serves, they got swallowed a few years ahead of Alfa Romeo. Which
leads to another thought: if they wanted to return to the US in a big
way they should amplify the fact that they ARE Ferrari...or maybe
dilute the marquis by packaging their more pedestrian models as
Ferraris pulling a 'GM' with regards to name plates. Maserati tried to
come out of the stratosphere with the Biturbo...failing,
unfortunately. FIAT could pull it off, I think -- the AR 156 could be
offered as the Ferrari Testosterone Sedan in the way Nissan did with
the Maxima. The tag-line could be "the 4-door sports car with balls."
Just a thought.

164 vs. Spider: A well-running 164 should be able to blow the doors
off a Spider on a rough road or perhaps any road. The modern
suspension design of the 164 pitted against the decades old design of
the Spider should be no contest. But there is this: A 164 will garner
you few dates, where a Spider in the right circumstances will evoke
marriage proposals from bikini-clad women you don't even know.

Take care, all. I'm monitoring a problem on my GTV6 and will probably
post a question when more facts are in -- aren't you the lucky ones?
<grin> Hopefully Mr. Di Matteo isn't angry with still over my beliefs
about AR personas.

- - Eric H., Clearwater, FL
"Why are Alfa owners the only people who seem to name their cars
anymore?"

End of alfa-digest V7 #623