COMPRESSION? WHAT COMPRESSION?

My 2.5 Milano is very sick...my neighbor came over & did a rudementary
compression test after the car started misfiring VERY BADLY the other
day...there's almost NO compression in #5...Obviously I have a major
problem here.  I have a good(and unfortunately, expensive) mechanic who
can do anything I need, but how bad is this & do you know of options?
No, I haven't taken it apart yet, so I don't know the extent of the
damage.

- --
John Hammer
Production Director/Z Morning Crew
WHZZ Lansing, MI
Vice President, Miata Owners of Mid Michigan
'94 Mazda Miata R-Package + Toys
'87 Alfa Romeo Milano Platinum

As a matter of fact, I do own a lot of metric wrenches!