re: engine overhaul...

I just had new pistons and liners installed in my Spider, without pulling
the engine a second time. If you have a lift and you know what you're
doing, it's a heck of a lot less labor than pulling the entire engine out.
The shop doing the work for me chooses to do it this way to save me some
money. They are able to check all the rod bearings, change the pistons and
cylinders, install a new upper timing chain, and overhaul the cylinder
head without removing the exhaust system or radiator, transmission, etc.

Obviously, you can't do main bearings or other details like the clutch,
etc, if you do the work this way. And the possibilties of making a mistake
and causing some damage are probably greater if you don't know precisely
what you're doing. But it is a viable way of getting the job done.

Godfrey