Automatic Transmissions in 164's

Fellow Listers,
I'm considering a 91 164L - impressive example with low miles and
excellent maintenance.  So...what's the problem?  It's an automatic!
Yeah, I know.  Heresy.  But then again, it IS a big sedan...and
automatics ARE more pleasant for heavy traffic commuting....rationalize
rationalize.... :-)

 What is the concensus on the automatics in the 164's, specifically
driveability and reliablity?  I know there are some very high mileage
164's in the world - any of y'all have automatics?  How are they holding
up?
Thanks! Paul Shelton