Why no high octane

Jorge asked in the Digest a couple of days ago:
"Aside from the needed timing adjustments, is =
is
at all advisable, even mixing race/premium fuels?
just want to extract a few more horses from my Milano (75)

Jorge
Redlands, CA"

Well, Jorge,
The way I keep hearing it, going with more octane than you need is a waste of
time, effort and money.  There is no "secret power": stored in racing fuel,
or any other high octane gasoline.  You have to modify you motor to find that
power.  The higher octance gas just keeps if from detonating to pieces once
those mods have been done.

Jay Negrin
ARO Southern California