Re: Alfas and mods

I am not a wholesale modifier. I do like to do subtle work in keeping
with the spirit of the car or motorcycle manufacturer to improve or
enhance what they've provided. So my Moto Guzzis have a lot of little
detail changes which make the suit me better, my MR2 has the (actually
too stiff) rally sport road race springing in it because I really wanted
to go autocrossing with it. My '79 Spider has IAP springs, Koni shocks,
adjustable upper control arms, and higher compression pistons in the
fitted '82 powertrain. I'd love to get the engine up to the performance
of the '72-73 Spider 2000 Veloce, which I seem to recall was about 130 hp
or so; I don't know for sure what it is now. And that's it ... I like to
drive the car too much to go radical. The '82 powertrain was a nod to the
EFI's easier serviceability and the ease of meeting California emissions,
plus the notion of a somewhat more relaxed highway cruise with the taller
rear end ratio.

Can't wait for FrankenSpider to come home, but then I can't really drive
much right now anyway (shoulder surgery yesterday). Everything's done but
the final tune-up and emissions pre-test. My buddy at the shop tells me
it's sounding quite nice now, can't wait to hear it. :)

Godfrey