>Tire Size for 1974 spider

Hi Brian!
There are lots of options as you know.  Since I wasn't interested in
competitive driving at the time, I went the conservative route and put a
set of Pirelli P4000's (P195/65R14) on my '74 spider last spring and I've
been very happy with them. They aren't the best tires in the market place
but the ride and traction is great for the fair-weather driving I do and is
also good enough to take the odd quick run when the twisties appear.

My car had a set of Pirelli Cinturato P3's (185/70SR14) on it when I bought
it in the fall of '97. They had good tread but the sidewalls were shot from
just sitting so I never had a chance to try them out. In the trunk was what
I believe to be one of the car's original tires -- a Michelin XAS
(165HR14). They aren't marked with an aspect ratio  but it has been
suggested to me that they were an 80 series tire.

One of the keys is maintaining your speedo accuracy by finding a tire close
to the same diameter as original. If you don't know already, just take
[(width x aspect ratio)/25.4] x 2 to calculate it.

My original owners manual identifies the following tires as possibilities:

CEAT   D 2
Continental  Conti TT 714
Firestone Cavallino Sport 200
Kleber Colombes V 10 GT
Michelin XAS
Pirelli Cinturato HR

The size spec is  165 HR 14 .

>Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 16:01:41 -0400
>From: briane@domain.elided
>Subject: Tire Size for 1974 spider

>Anyone have any comments or suggestions for new tires for my 1974 Spider?

>I am keeping the original 14" aluminum wheels.  And wish to use a Pirelli
>tire.

>What is the stock tire size for a 1974 Spider?  What have people used
>succesfully?

>Brian Erdelyi
>1974 Alfa Romeo Spider

Hugh Shawcross