Re: Problems with 164S

Dennis wrote: "I recently purchased a 93 164 S and need some help.
* I filled the gas tank yesterday and had a really bad smell of gas for a
about a third of a tank while driving.

* The warning lights for the brakes flash on for a millisecond every once in
a while."

There are a few common sources of fuel odor in the 164. The first is a
leaking seal in the trunk floor where the fuel pump sits in the gas tank.
The second is leaking short sections of rubber fuel hose on the fuel rail,
on top of the engine. They often look fine, but can have hairline cracks
that leak gas under pressure. Another place is the original fuel filler pipe
(many were changed under a recall).

The brake warning light came on in my 164S when I bought it if I depressed
the brake pedal slightly and let go. The momentary contact switch mounted
above the pedal wasn't aligned properly. I adjusted the switch, and the
light no longer comes on.

Rich Lasner
92 164S
Mill Valley CA