Re: alfa-digest V7 #594 - Spica Pump Removal

In a message dated 3/28/99 11:28:18 PM Central Standard Time, owner-alfa-
digest@domain.elided writes:

<< Alfist@domain.elided
 Subject: SPICA Fuel Injection Removal

 Can anyone tell me how to remove the SPICA Fuel Injection?   >>

	You just going to remove it?  Or are you going to replace it with Webers?
Maybe send it to Wes Ingram for repair?  What is your goal?

     Actually, if you cannot figure out how to remove the pump, perhaps you
should open your check book and hire the job done.  Setting up Webers or a
Spica is no job for the beginner.  Also order the Spica book AROC sells.  No
flame intended, but you were wearing your Nomex, I trust.

	The pump is held to the front cover by four bolts.  Reach under the oil
filter housing (the Spica oil filter, not the engine filter) and you will find
the four bolts.  There is a bracket off the back of the pump extending to the
motor mount.  Two bolts hold the bracket to the pump.  Or remove the motor
mount and leave the bracket attached to the pump if you are going to Webers.
	Take care to unbolt all lines, linkages (they just pop off with a
screwdriver) and the thermostatic actuator.  All these parts are precious, so
save them.  In fact, to preserve them pour oil everywhere and bag the parts.
I like Marvel Mystery oil for that.
	Now that it is off, back to my original question of why?  It you are going to
Webers, they will hopefully come with instructions.  Rather than a block off
plate, you can drill and tap the oil holes for set screws secured with Lock
Tite.  (Grease the drill bit and the tap to keep metal cuttings out of the
engine.)
	Write if you have more questions.
Ciao,
Russ Neely