Transplants

In a message dated 3/25/99 8:16:26 PM Central Standard Time, owner-alfa-
digest@domain.elided writes:

<<
 So, I'm not saying its wrong - I'm just saying it's a lot easier
 to write about than to execute, and the final result will probably
 be a lot worse than just a) rebuilding the engine you have, or
 b) buying a car that came from the factory with the engine you
 want.

 Jay Mackro

That is true for sure.  My Rotary project gave me a few problems, but it is
what I wanted to do.   These type of projects are not for everyone  The fact
that I was trying to make in my last post is that I am sure that there are
many more cars not complete due to an uncommitted "restoration" than due to a
committed engine swap.

As I said before, the rotary fits in nicely with plenty of room to spare.

Here is a list of a few of the things I had to do to make it work:

A lot of work:
	manufacture motor mounts
	manufacture transmission mounts
	manufacture clutch slave SS hose
	enlarge transmission tunnel "taller" by 3 inches
	Install Haltech Engine Control Unit

easy to do:
	remove Alfa and simply install Mazda radiator with a few "L" brackets
	install electronic radiator fan
	Mazda drive shaft fits perfect. just drill new holes for Alfa rear end
	take car to muffler shop for pipe fitting ;)
	change linkages (throttle and tacho) to Mazda types

Almost everything else is just stuff you would do under a _typical_
restoration job.

Jon