3 shoe brakes

Something is strange.You say that the shoes do not squeeze the drum when
the
adjusters are BACKED OFF? Do you mean ON FULL ?
I have them on 2 Giulietta's and they work very well with little adjust
ment
required in spite of stories to the contrary. Some small tips- leave some
travel so that when the car comes out of storage the pistons move
sufficiently
to wipe off any residue in the cylinders   - do not play with cant
adjustment,
make sure this was not messed up during re-build.
To adjust- tighten each adjuster then back off until drum rotates freely.
That
is all.
You may have sticking cylinders on one side. Do they change after driving
the
car and using the brakes?
Let me know. If you want an article I wrote as to the history of the 3 shoe
drum send me your fax number. It is unique only to Alfa.
Was your father at Monterey in 1985?
Bill