77 Spider Rear Bumper

For any of you who are interested in my ongoing efforts to replace the
rear bumper on my Spider...

I dropped the bumper (literally) off at the local welding god. It was
completely rotted out so I decided to scrap it. An easy way to lose
about 50 pounds of ugly dead weight. At this point our options were to
fabricate something or find a similar bumper from another car. I know I
am offending the purists out there, but hey, its a 77 and the original
bumper was an abomination. So my welder calls me today and says that he
found a perfect fit: a Volkswagon GTI bumper. I'm not sure what year
(will find out) but I assume it is from the original Rabbit GTI.

So hopefully I will be able to post tomorrow and tell all what a great
looking thing this is. Then I will hitch my jetski up to my new
hitch-equipped bumper and have a two-stroke Sunday. I'm thinking of
painting the jetski to match the car, think how easy it would be if I
ever could bring myself to sell it!

Simon Buckley
77 Spider (Whose rear end looks better since it was unmasked)
86 BMW 535i (For Sale, need a 164)