FrancoSpider status

It's been a while since I reported.

Basically, the shop was kinda busy for a couple of weeks and they did some
detail work on my car, I helped strip and retrieve all the bits I want to
keep as spares off the two cored hulks, etc. Now the two hulks are due to
be disposed of any time (there's not much of value left in them, but if
anyone needs a '79 Spider engine complete with SPICA, airbox, etc, please
let me know). The new top looks absolutely splendid.

This week they got into the motor work. Head off and disassembled. Valves,
seats and guides all look good. VCT is free and working well. All that's
being done is to decarbonize all the bits, lap in the valves, fit new
guide seals as a precaution, and set the clearances properly.

The pistons and cylinders showed damage from the long years of sitting, as
expected. Corrosion in the bores and on the oil and compression rings,
some scoring of the pistons and cylinder surfaces. The oil retainer and
scraper were stuck on two pistons. Never mind, all new cylinders and high
compression pistons have now been fitted. Rod bearings were checked and
pronounced as new. The upper timing chain was at least loose and will be
replaced. Inside the oil pan was clean, no evidence of anything else to
worry about.

It should be back together and ready for tuning, preparatory to emissions
certification, by the end of the week. Can't wait to drive it now, it's
really going to be a far far better Spider than the '78 was. :)

Godfrey