Re: alfa-digest V7 #581

I'd like to throw in my few hundred lires' worth--my '69 GTVeloce had
shocks and springs
done recently and I, like Bill, went with Dave Rough(sp?) and Bilsteins and
am very happy w/ the
transformation. My mechanic had previously been a Ward and Deane advocate
but was very impressed w/
the car as well. The hi-perf street springs ran $269. US incl
freight(Portland,Oregon to SoCal), a significant
price break compared to W&D. As for the Bilsteins, check out
<http://www.shox.com> where I paid $284. US for 4
Bilsteins--71 apeice!!!!! I would also like to give an excellent
recommendation of Jay Niederst's Sports Imports of Ventura(Ventura,CA), 805
654-0555-he does detailed work and really goes the extra 1.6 kilometers
on every job I have brought him.

Felix
Thousand Oaks CA USA
69 1750 GTVeloce
72 2000 Berlina
Jean-86 Taurus SW

At 03:40 PM 3/24/99 -0500, you wrote:

>alfa-digest         Wednesday, March 24 1999         Volume 07 : Number 581
>From: BEast750F@domain.elided
>Subject: Higher performance shocks and springs for a '74 Spider
>
>Hey there!,
>
>My experience has been the opposite of Godfrey's.  I like the compliant ride
>of Bilsteins and eschew the harsh control of Konis.  For the budget minded,
>KYB Gas are a reasonable choice.
>
>It is prudent to match the performance of the shocks and springs.  Ward and
>Dean are pretty good but I prefer Rough Engineering's offerings.  Dave Rough
>does no marketing, and his products are somewhat unknown to the greater
>public, but he has been making springs for Alfas for probably 20 years or
>more.  He has developed a series of choices for the enthusiast, and takes a
>system approach: sets of components matched to required uses.
>
>I removed some W&D springs, along with the Conies after trying his stuff.
>They work GREAT when the car is thrown around, but made for an uncomfortable
>ride almost all other times.  The Rough spring/bar/shock combo transformed
the
>ride comfort while yielding the same cornering potential (its true, the car
>will go faster than I can...) with tires that are 1" wider than stock.  Do
not
>specify competition stuff from anyone unless it is a dedicated race car.
>Should you be inclined to want the "unabridged version" call Rough
Engineering

Felix Schmidt alfakats@domain.elided
Jean Skeels serenitymassage@domain.elided