RE: Brakes - 164, 105 series and AROC Convention Track

Well, everybody has their anecdotal evidence, so I will present mine.

A couple of years ago I was at the Alfa Rodeo at Hallett. This is a spring
event put on by the OK and Tulsa Alfa people.  I had brand new pads on my 1971
1750 GTV with new brake fluid.  After about 4 or five laps the brakes would
demonstrate major fade.  I would usually do another three laps, probably
faster than I normally would, because as one Digester said, what are you
options except to try to make the corner at the faster speed!!!   You can see
a picture of me "chasing" a 911 around turn 9 at
www.kcaroc.org/kcalfapics.html.

The next year, I changed the pads, running the Axxis Metal Masters, but at
Heartland Park in Topeka.  This is a slightly less brake demanding course, but
I had absolutely no fade in 10-12 laps.

Last year, I ran the 1995 164 Q at Heartland, with Repco pads that Centerline
supplied.  I had NO noticeable fading of the brakes during any of the sessions
of 10-12 laps, lasting about 20 minutes.  This was on the slightly shorter 2.1
mile course, and I was making an effort to test the limits of the car, as I
had not driven a 164 on the track before.  Those people in Santa Fe who
watched the video we made while at Heartland may remember the off camera
comment of one of my friends commenting that "... must have slowed down, as
the 911 is passing him now..." as I slowed down to let a better cornering 911
get by me on the longest straight, a feat not capable of being done by the 911
driver otherwise.

John Justus
1971 1750 GTV (I have added front brake ducts just for the added air)
1995 164 Q