Cross drilled rotors

     Right after buying my 74 GTV I went to a drivers school at "Streets of
     Willow," a very short track with lots of turns...very hard on brakes
     and tires, and really rather unpleasant after 3 or so drivers schools.
      But the first one was a big thrill.

     Anyway, regarding brakes...after my first session when I came off the
     track there was smoke pouring out of both front wheels.  No
     discernible fade but the smoke scared me.  So I bought cross-drilled
     rotors from Alfa Ricambi before the next event.  Voila, no more smoke
     and brakes have been excellent ever since.  It's true, the cross
     drilling eats up pads a lot faster and I have to get the rotors turned
     about once a year of time trialing.  I also put on braided steel brake
     lines.  Pedal is high and hard.

     I put cross drilled rotors on all 4 wheels.  But on the non-transaxle
     cars, it's probably only necessary on the fronts.  Most of the other
     time trialers do the same.

     As for the transaxle cars, I have a little experience there as well.
     On the GTV6 the fronts are vented and probably don't need drilling or
     slotting.  The rears tend to overheat and might benefit from drilled
     rotors.

     It is not recommended to drill them yourself.  You would need a very
     hard drill.  And know the right pattern for the holes.

     Slotted rotors would probably be less destructive to pads.

     Doug Bender