'74 Spider clutch

SOmething broke yesterday & I suddenly had a clutch that releases with ab=
out a
1/2 to 1" depression of pedal + major slip in higher gears if I stamp on =
the
gas. Previously I had no slip & the clutch bit about half way up from the=

floor - no slip.

This is what happened:
I was shifting up at about 30 mph (leisurely shift) & I felt something "g=
ive'
as I pressed the pedal.  Then when I let off the pedal I didn't get any b=
ite
until almost at full pedal release.  Hydraulics are new (totally) & no fl=
uid
leakage. Clutch release folk now has a lot of free play.

Any thoughts on what might have broken that is stopping the clutch fully
engaging.

Thanks

Ralph
Houston, TX