Wood-look steering wheels

A few dormant neurons were jogged by the
recent discussions on steering wheel
composition. I recall being told by the
salesman in '69 that the black plastic wheel on
my '69 GT Veloce(I will try to remember to
use the correct name) "Old Yellow" had to be that way
because new US safety regulations would not
permit wood that would splinter. A few years
later when I remarked on the "wood" steering wheels
on some new model or other, I was told that it
was a plastic imitation that satisfied both
the aficionado and the regs.

They wouldn't have been spoofing me, wood they?

(BTW, both my flying buttress seats have headrests!)

Cheers,

Jack Rugh, Baltimore MD
'69 GT Veloce
'74 Spider