steering/gtwe6 parts

hi eric, you said:
>As I was getting ready to extract the broken steering rack
>from my GTV6, I noted that its system contains a damper
>which doesn't appear in the Alfetta manual.
>
>Out of curiosity, I'm presenting the question of 'why?' here
>because if anyone will know, it will be one of you. Was the
>Alfetta's steering problematic? Or was the additional weight
>of the V6 an issue? Wider tires? Were they getting the
>assembly line crew ready for the new look of the
>power-assisted rack?
>
>Just curious. (and on a more practical note: just wondering
>if I need to go to the extra effort of reinstalling it.)
- ------------------------------
then Godfrey DiGiorgi answered:
>Steering dampers are often added to rack and pinion steering systems to
>alleviate kickback through the steering on rough roads and at high
>speeds. I'd be sure to keep it in there. Wide wheels and tires tend to
>cause more steering kickback.
for what it's worth, when the steering rack went away on my '86 gtwe6, i
installed a gnu alfetta rack - a direct bolt-in replacement, once i figured out
that there are an additional set of mounting holes on my car's frame!   i now
have no steering damper, & i'm running 225-50-15's on 15x8 wheels, and the car
is lowered.  no ill effects from losing the steering damper.

ciao for now,

doug s.