Re: Offset: + or -- ?

I don't know whether the terms "hub offset" and "wheel offset" are clearly
defined anywhere so as to be definitive, however the people I know in the
business were just as confused as I as when I queried them about it. I
rechecked this notion with them this morning and they immediately
understood the confusion after that, the same "A Ha!" reaction I had.

>  It is clearly of critical importance to ensure that your definition agrees
> with that of the person buying or selling your wheels.

Absolutely true. That's why I was eager to obtain a few more opinions on
the matter. I've been in contact with the folks at Tire Rack as well ... I
think the problem I have is that their definition, while explicit and
consistent with how they dimension the wheels they sell, runs contrary to
the terminology used by many people in the field building race cars and
such.

I suggested that they should expand the web page definition to include
some notion as to what happens to the track as you change the wheel
offset, which would make the information more useful and less ambiguous. I
also mentioned the "backspace" measurement mentioned here.  The person I
was talking with said that he'd pass the suggestion along to the
webmaster, so perhaps the net result will be more information useful to
all.

Godfrey

End of alfa-digest V7 #549