1999 GTV & Praise of the 105 Series GTV

>A fellow at work dropped off an odd magazine on my desk. It is the Feb.
>99 issue of 'Le Moniteur Automobile' published in Brussels, Belgium. He's
>Belgian and is apparently having the mag sent over. In it, the Belgians
>do a review on the latest update of the Spider/GTV line. I find that Alta
>Vista's translation engine does some really strange things when you type
>in English letters and punctuation, then ask it to translate from French
>to English, especially when it's Belgian to start with. ;=) One of the
>things they really came down hard on was the trunk space. The term "Coffre
>ridicule" showed up in each summary box. ;=( In the comment section, their
>summary translated to "When you show the trunk to a layman, they generally
>burst out laughing."

I didn't laugh when I looked at one, but I sure wasn't impressed at the
overall packaging. It really is a feeble excuse for a boot/trunk. Supposedly
the fancy rear suspension eats some of the space, but even so.... It really
is a 2 seater car, not a 2+2: my understanding is that token rear seats are
optional, the area behind the front seats is effectively a parcel shelf. And
the car weighs nearly 40% more than a 105 GTV.... such is progress. But it
does have electric windows and AC! Of course technology moves on: despite
the weight they are faster, quieter, stop better, grip better, burn less
petrol, pump out less emissions etc, etc.. and look, how shall I put it,
distinctive.

Not as beautiful as a 105 series though (me, biased??). As Les said:

>Over here the GTV seems to be the subject of admiration from both men and
women - "what a >beautiful LITTLE car!" Yeah, right, lady. Sure makes my day."

I was surprised at the number of very positive comments that my car provoked
from other (mainly female) parents when I started using it again to drop my
kids off at their daycare: it seems to appeal to non-car people of both
sexes, as well as to car nuts. What's more you can easily fit two adults,
two kids, a folding cot and a pushchair in it.....

Mark Battley
Auckland, New Zealand.

1974 Alfa Romeo 2000 GT Veloce