Wheel bearing free play?

How much free play is too much for a front wheel bearing on an '87 Milano
Verde?

I jacked the car up to check them out (it's been REALLY windy, the car's
been blown around, I wanted to make sure the car was OK, that it wasn't the
wheel bearings). The drivers side has no free play at all; jiggling the
wheel doesn't make it wiggle at all.

The passenger side is a different story. There's a slight amount of play. In
fact, I don't think I would have noticed it at all, if it werent for the
sound it makes when it touches either side when it wiggles.

How do I know when it's too loose? These bearings have been changed
recently, I presume it would just need to be tightened, right? How do I do
that? Do I need any special tools?

My number one question, is it safe to drive?

Thanks,
- -Glenn