Injections

In AD7-529 Alex Jenner, writing about Lucas fuel injection, asks "Was the
Lucas
injection used on all the Alfa V8 F1 engines of that era, or did some use
Spica?
What about the Tipo 33 sports racers? I thought they used Spica? Did some of
the Tipo 33 models use Lucas Injection too?"

To the best of my knowledge the only Alfas which used Spica, apart from the US
115s, were the Montreal, the Stradale version of the Tipo 33, and the GTAm.
The "Alfa Tasmania" of 1968 which is pictured in Fusi had a Tipo 33 enlarged
to 2.5 liters with Spica injection, but I am not sure whether everyone would
call the car an "Alfa".

The 333/2 (1967-69), 33/3 (1969-72), 33TT12 (1975) and Martini-Brabham I
believe all had Lucas. Someplace I have some notes (I think) on a hybrid
Lucas-Spica, but I don't remember the application.

I have an Autodelta price list from 1968 which lists several motors available
with either Lucas or Spica, including four cylinders with 1300, 1500, 1600,
and 1900 cc displacements, twin plugs, four valves, dry sumps. On this
particular list the Tipo 33 V8s of both 2000 cc and 2500 cc were listed only
with Spica. The Sovralimentato (twin hydraulic turbine compressors) 1600 is
listed "con pompe alimentazione" but brand not specified. All of the engines
are listed with choice of new or reconditioned-

The list make nice reading, nice dreaming- a 1900 cc four, 16 valves, 225 CV
DIN, hmmm, that should boot the old Duetto-

The same batch of papers include a reference to the car we call the 33
Stradale,
but mentioning two versions: the "Lusso", the Italian road version, which
cannot be imported into the U.S.A., and the "racing" prepared version which
can be imported under a racing exemption. The price of the "Racing" 33 Coupe
is $14,800 p.o.e. Newark, 90 days delivery, 25% deposit required. The price of
the engine alone, without body or chassis, landed USA, was $10,125. The old
line that "we sell you the engine, and throw in the car free" was not much of
an exaggeration.

Cordially,

John H.
Raleigh, N.C.