Re: Spica vs Weber

In alfa-digest V7 #524 there was much speculation...

> Subject: Re:Spica vs Weber
>
> I heard that Alfa originally wanted to go away from both Weber carbs and the
> Spica injection system.  A single 1 1/4" SU carb with a log manifold was to

Actually, during the 1960's Ferrari was replacing Webers with fuel
injection on it's sports/racing cars. To quote from "Ferrari -
- - The Sports and Gran Turismo Cars" ISBN 0 85059 426 X

"The 330 P3 had a greatly improved chassis and a Lucas fuel injection
replacing the six webers"

Now I'm sure that Alfa must have been influenced by developments
down the road at Maranello - maybe there was even consideration
given to using the proven (by Ferrari) Lucas fuel injection in the
Tipo 33 (under development at the time).

Just think what could have followed:
1. Lucas Fuel Injection in Tipo 33
2. Lucas Fuel Injection in Montreal
3. Lucas Fuel Injection replaces Webers in U.S. market.
4. In 1999 there is much debate in alfa-digest regarding the
   superior reliability, durability and technical elegance of
   of the "Lucas" system  ;-)

Best Regards
Alex Jenner (who never drove a SPICA Alfa)
1980 Alfasud Sprint Veloce 1.5 (with 2x36IDF Webers)