Re: Spica electric pump pressure

I admit that 10-year-old memories can get fuzzy, but I
recall that the Bosch 3-nozzle pump had to develop the same
or higher pressure than the L-Jetronic 2-nozzle pump. The
3-nozzle variety contained a built-in pressure regulator and
provided a return path via the third tube. Here memory fails
me: is there a fuel return from the Spica injection pump? If
so, why?

The system may have been able to function on 12-15 lbs...I
don't know. I suppose it SHOULD be able to run  at
significantly lower pressure as it has the Spica pump to
crank out the very high injecting pressure. To it's credit
the higher pressure at the injectors probably reduces the
potential for build-up that is seen in Bosch systems. But
then neither the Bosch K or L systems contain a monumentally
expensive or complex part like the Spica pump. The K system
does have that regulator / distributor thing...but those are
usually the last to fail and contain no oil filters and
require no belts.

I'm going to be very opinionated on this point: the Alfa
buyer would have been far better served had AR adopted the K
or -- at the time -- freshly hatched L-Jetronic system when
they began making fuel injected autos.

Anyone game for trying to adapt a Bosch K system to a 70's
Spider? With the addition of a modern catalytic converter,
I'd bet it would pass even California emissions without
incident. Think of all the old Volvos, Audis, VW's, BMW's,
Peugeot's and Mercedes that do with little problem. Besides,
those stainless braid-covered hoses would make a fine
conversation piece at club meetings!

Woolgathering on a Tuesday night, preparing to go to war
with my beloved GTV6's assailant's insurance company
tomorrow. They sent me a check in the mail for $2100 and
made no clarification as to whether that was a 'totaled'
figure or not...the amount would fix the car, most likely
but not REPLACE it! I had a couple neighbors help me push
the car into the garage tonight...NO-ONE will take this car
unless I am satisfied with the settlement.

- - Eric H. (that's Hambleton for Mr. Z), Clearwater, FL
1983 GTV6 with Sperry Stage 3 heads (worth about $2K by
themselves)