how to buff an Alfa?

I managed to scratch "mafioso " while getting out of the car with an
umbrella and i have swirl marks all over "azzuro".
how does one buff a car to get rid of small scratches and buildup?
I have a drill attachment, which has fuzzy stuff on a circular plane, with a
stiff backing and on a metal rod (to be inserted into the drill).
What compound do I use, which tool, and how do I avoid not destroying the
clearcoat (could leave a dull spot).
Or do I wet sand with ultra fine sand paper and then wax with an orbital
sander?
Any detailers in the midst?

thx
luke

74 Spider (Il Dottore), 82 GTV6 (azzuro), 95 164LS (Mafioso), 98 Audi A6 Q
(Didi)