RE: Driveshaft slap and light "slap" at Jack

Jack, just because you have tried most of the other items and they didn't
affect anything, doesn't mean that you have any idea how thorough (or not) I
was in researching this.  I changed transmission mounts, donuts, u-joints,
center support, springs (new stock height, old, new, lowered as currently
installed) and the only thing that has remained the same since it started, is
the drive shaft length, the LSD, and the slap. (none of this was done
specifically to eliminate the slap, just noting that it didn't)

I have no quarrel with what Joel says either, as I am not sure it contradicts
me, as the slap would more likely happen on weak springs, i.e. more chances
for maximum suspension compression.  Except that my thump doesn't come at
acceleration from standstill, but while driving down the road at speed and
then crossing a raised seam in the roadway.  And it really isn't a thump, but
a "slap".

While under my car, it is possible to measure and extrapolate that the drive
shaft slip joint is not going to be able to slide all the distance it needs
when the rear suspension is at maximum compression.  There was one other item
that was mentioned that I have not checked on my car, and that is the
transmission mount bar for warpage, although I did have it off last year for
repainting, and it doesn't look dented or anything.  (Of course it could be
the body is slightly warped, but all the doors work etc, and again, it was
immediately after the differential replacement that it started.)

Disclaimer:
The opinion mentioned above is strictly that of the author, and is not the
opinion of the Alfa Digest.  While the results are actual results, your
results may be different.

John Justus
1971 1750 GTV (slap happy)
1995 164 Q (just makes me happy)