Re: Rollbar and insurance

Robin Boyar wrote:

>Alas, spring is coming, and I've decided that I'd like to take my car on
>the track- first, driving school, then perhaps to race.  Does anyone
>have any recommendations regarding rollbars?
>
>Also, is it possible to get auto insurance that covers myself and the
>car on the track?

I assume we're talking about the '67 Duetto in your sig, not the Saab
900. ;=)

There are 2 kinds of roll bars. One is called a 'street bar' and one is
called a 'race bar'. The race bar sits well above the top of the helmet.
This means you can't put the top up if it starts raining at the track.
The street bar will let you put the top up, but generally doesn't pass
muster at most racing events. It depends on which group you intend to
race with. A race bar also includes a fore-and-aft brace that may fill
the passenger footwell. These are generally removable. Either type of
roll bar can be made as a bolt-in installation by having plates with
nuts attached welded to the shelf behind the seats. If you intend to do
more than driving school, get the race bar.

As for insurance, your regular insurance should cover you during a
driver training school, but will be null and void during an actual race.
You break it, you fix it. Check whatever medical insurance you have.
Most employee insurance plans I've seen don't have any limitation on
"hazardous" activity. I'll bet more people make insurance claims during
skiing season than racing season. When in doubt, read the fine print.