Spider Water Pump Woes

Thanks to all who provided me with helpful advice on removing the water pump
from my '88 Spider. Well, the old pump is off, the new pump is on, and I had
everything put back together when (thankfully before I started the car), I
noticed that the fan was coming into contact with the scews that fasten the
cap to the center pulley below the water pump pulley. Turns out that the
center spindle on the replacement pump is 15 cm shorter than the spindle on
the old pump. In looking things over, my initital inclination is simply to
stack 15 cm worth of washers between the water pump pulley and the plastic
fan on each of the 5 bolts that hold the fan to the pulley. Alternatively, I
could remove the cap to the center pulley, but then could not mount the A/C
compressor belt. Anyone have any other ideas?

I'm starting to think that working on an Alfa is like being a Phillies or
Eagles fan -- you have to know how to suffer.

As always, thanks for any and all help.

Joe Fillip
Swarthmore, PA