Re: alfa-digest V7 #506

In AD-506, Vlad wrote:

> Ok.My hometown stopped building boxers with inboard under Citroen license in
> '95.I own one there..The engine is incapable to snap an axle and braking
won't
> do it either.Worse comes the worst it will begin clicking or making speciffic
> interior axle joint noises.

and John H. responded:

> I know one hears of half-shafts breaking on competition cars, but I wonder
how
> many break on transaxle Alfas, and whether this loss of braking due to half
> shaft breakage has been a problem with Alfasuds?

I have never heard of this being a problem on Alfasuds, but even in the UK they
were relatively rare so the problem might not have been well publicised.  I
suspect it would be uncommon on well maintained examples, since the maximum
power rating of the Suds was something in the region of 105 BHP.  However, it
should be remembered that the front-wheel drive layout requires a CV joint (2
actually) in the driveshaft, and CV joints do eventually fail.  Usually they
make plenty of warning noises before doing so, but if this were imprudently
ignored the joint could eventually strip and the connection to the brake would
be lost.  Perhaps this is why the more powerful 33 model reverted to outboard
brakes?

Incidentally, I had a similar occurance in my first Sud which resulted from the
driveshaft parting company from the transaxle stub axle.  This was due to my
having forgotten to threadlock the 6 axle bolts when putting in a new engine.
 To tell the truth, I didn't forget, I had no threadlocker to hand and figured
I'd do it later!  I certainly felt like an idiot.  Fortunately for me, the last
bolt pulled out just as I was pulling away from a light, so I did not have to
deal with brake loss, and little damage was done except to my pride.  But I had
no vibration or warning of any kind up until that moment.

The same car however suffered from uneven braking due to an additional hazard
of inboard brakes.  My engine buildup was flawless except for one critical
error, the distortion of the crank rear oil seal upon installation.  Oil cames
out, got on clutch, got flung off onto right front caliper, where it had the
obvious effect on coefficient of friction.  Thus a strong tendency to turn left
while braking, which I counteracted with a pull to the right on the steering
wheel for a few months until the car was scrapped due to terminal rust.  (A sad
end to my first Alfa experience yet I have since owned two more - I must like
these cars!  Of course, I treat them a little better now).

Lastly, I would like to thank those who have helped broaden my knowledge of
Alfas and other cars with interesting front-wheel drive layouts.  I do recall
Citroens having the inboard brake and transaxle layout, although I could not
remember if any of the 4-cylinders were boxers.  The 2CV I am familiar with,
and it was a boxer, but with only 2 cylinders.  Also the arrangement was
probably not chosen for performance reasons, the 2CV being originally intended
as a French farm car, I am told.  I believe but I am not certain that it had
inboard drum brakes.  Despite its crudity and image of undesirablity, it was a
very innovative design for its time.

Regards,

Dave J.
1982 GTV6 (with the transaxle and inboard brakes at the correct end ;-)

- --