164 idling/ starting problems

Dear all

I own a '89 164 (auto - this is Australia, we only got autos) with
170,000km on the clock. Been regularly serviced and, as far as I can
ascertain, has not been driven too hard.

Recently I've noticed a slight surge, noticeable only during parking or
at stop signs/lights, etc. Revs about 250-300rpm over idle for about a
second or two. Too intermittent to get my apparently impatient Alfa
mechanic to notice - he shrugs. This happens still after full tune - new
plugs, leads, injectors (second replacement in 1 year - necessary?),
etc. - doesn't seem to matter whether hot or cold. $700 later, staus
quo.

I wondered at valves (carbon build, etc) but he assures me no, then
shrugs. Have read mention (164 Home Page tech notes) of fuel pump
problems with 164 causing insufficient and intermittent flow effecting
similar symptoms. This was mentioned in connection with hard starting -
this has always been a problem with this car, past 18mnths or so since
I've owned it. Long wind-over time - 2-5 secs, which seems excessive to
me for a 'properly tuned' hi-tech engine such as this. Especialy since
my '85 Alfa 33 - with sloppy twin Webers, self-tuned! - starts with
virtually no wind-over, winter or summer. There is a small hole
appearing in rear muffler.

Any ideas greatly appreciated

Cheers
Peter