Help

Hi Alfisti,

I'm in the middle of one of the two or three very worst restoration
scenarios and am desperate for ideas.

Alfa Sprint went to painter based on written quote of twenty-five hundred
dollar, 60 hour labor, including block sanding with guide coat and minor
sheet metal work.  I would disassemble.  I did.  I found some sheet metal
work that I thought was extraordinary, so had metal fabricator take care of
those.  Painter sanded paint off and dug into some factory lead and found
about a half dozen penny size rust areas and three business card size areas.
He said he had no idea the sheet metal had so much seam welding and wavy
hand forming (told him during his inspection a lot was hand fabricated on
early Sprints), so he said he has to more than double his quote.  Now the
Alfa is in "white metal" in his place; said he wouldn't mind if I took it
somewhere else, and would give me a break on his labor so far, $400.  I'm
livid, but didn't let my anger show, because he has possession.  I feel
primer is needed soon, before more damage occurs and have friend who would
do that much immediately.

Question:  What recourse do I have?  What tactic have others used
successfully?

Not so cheery, Peter :(