75 twinspark intake cam advance question

Afetr I screwed the cam variator by hamfistedly "mending" it, I have a
question.
If I advance the intake cam by moving it statically, how much should/can
I move it?
As I understand it the inlet cam opens round about TDC, just when the
piston is in the way so I am anxious not to bugger it up properly by
advancing it too much.
I may need to screw the throttle stop to force the idle higher so that
it still runs, by what the hell.
- --
Jonathan Coates
75 Tspark