Hot Bulbs

Joel Hailey commented that:
"I installed high powered bulbs in my first Milano. Maybe I didn't check
the
harness connector to the bulb carefully enough for tightness and freedom
from
corrosion. At any rate, the connectors got fried due to the heat
generated from
the extra amperage the bulbs required. I believe they were 55/100s,
which
differs
from the originals only on the high beams; the originals are 55/60. The
Milano
has
a relay on the high beam side, so that wasn't the issue. I've resisted
running
"hot" bulbs ever since."

This car can handle the extra amperage easily. The problem was not the
bulbs but the admittedly bad connection. A loose or corroded connection
generates resistance and with it heat. There's your culprit. Any
component drawing current like a headlight needs a clean and secure
connection.

I run 100 watt *low* beams in my Marchal Ampl-lux lights on my '66
Giulia Sprint GT Veloce. No Relays. The connections are never overheated
because they are tight and clean.

Nice pun with the "'resisted' running the 'hot' bulbs" though.

Eric Sands esands@domain.elided or esands@domain.elided
66 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce (Uva Bella)
92 164S (CLXIV S)
87 Milano Platinum
78 Spider Veloce

Any body have a nice 4cyl rear engined fiat they don't need anymore?