Spider Speedometer.

I recently changed the speedometer cable on my 88 Veloce.
On the driver side panel, the cable connects to a small unit that
sends a signal to the instrument cluster.  On the opposite side
of the unit where the cable goes in is another cable-receiver that's
capped off.  1) Does anyone know what this is for?

My speedometer definitely needs to be recalibrated.  2) Could it be
this small unit that is sending an inaccurate signal, or is it the
speedometer itself?  3) Is the adjustment something I can do myself?

PS.  The odometer seems accurate, while the speedometer registers very
slow.

Thanks,

John Adkins
88 Spider Veloce