copper head gaskets

Surprise.. My 2L 4cyl head gasket leaks oil.  I plan to replace head gasket
and know I have a few choices here.
Any opinions out there about copper head gaskets?  I understand they provide
the best chance of a (leak-proof) seal -- but lower compression.  Is this
noticeable?  What is the best fix for this persistent problem?

Sorry if this is a repeat topic, but I am new to the list and have many
questions.  Not too many Alfisti in Speedway, Indiana..

Oscar F. Perez